- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- Serves: 1-2
“Riced” Cauliflower with Savoury Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon of oil of choice
- 1/2 cup diced onion or chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon of SF Health Foods Himalayan Rock Salt
- 1/4 cup of SF Health Foods Nutritional yeast Flakes
- Just 10gms contains the recommended daily intake of Vitamins B12 and V6
- Suitable for vegans
- Naturally gluten free
- Source of fibre
- Source of protein
- Rinse cauliflower and ‘rice’ it by grating it with a cheese shredder.
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add ‘riced’ cauliflower to the pan and stir to coat with oil. Sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add broth and salt – cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add nutritional yeast flakes.
- Stir and enjoy.
Savoury Nutritional Yeast Flakes have a very pleasant delicate ‘cheesy’ flavour. They are a plant based source of protein. The protein and fibre content promote ‘fullness’ after meals and the B vitamins help in energy production.
Golden yellow in colour, savoury nutritional yeast flakes are a dairy free ‘cheesy’ tasting food seasoning. It is the same strain of yeast bakers use to leaven bread except it has been pasteurised to dry out the yeast in order to extract its nutritional benefits. The yeast is grown in vats of molasses, nutrients and water. Once the yeast is mature, it gets poured out onto a conveyor belt and goes through a drying process that breaks it down into little flakes.
A tablespoon sized serving is just 20 calories yet has a surprisingly dense amount of protein. Add to soups, pasta sauces and scrambled eggs. Sprinkle over popcorn, salads and vegetables. A perfect cheese replacement.